Monday, December 3, 2012

Descartes Was Right

I have come to the shocking realization that I don't need anyone.

I am a social being and need people around me, but I am not dependent on any one person in particular for my happiness. I have buried my loved ones over and over in my mind against the day when death takes them. I don't know if this is callous or just practical, but it is simply how I am.

No one can be depended on indefinitely. Circumstances and personalities change. Humans can hurt each other, grow jealous, or just lose interest. To idealize any one relationship is to set onself up for disappointment.

The only constants are myself and God. But even He, in his mysterious and sometimes cruel sovreignty, and I, in my flawed humanity, can be crappy company at times.

Absolute truths shift on hidden axes like Copernicus's universe. People fall away, rogue moons separated from their source of gravity. The only thing - the ONLY thing - that I know for sure is that I think, therefore I am*, and that there is One whose thoughts are above mine.

Everything else is up for grabs.

*"Je pense, donc je suis." - Rene' Descartes, Meditations on First Philosophy, 1641

1 comment:

I apologize for the word verification. I hate it, but the spammers made me do it.